Available as an open enrollment class in LeRoy, MI.
Competent Climber/Rescuer is a two day course designed to exceed OSHA training requirements, NATE CTS for Competent Climber/Rescuer and ANSI training standards. This certification course is recommended for crew leaders, site supervisors, safety representatives and tower personal who are required to be certified in competent climber/rescuer to oversee work performed by Authorized climbers.
This training provides individuals with the required skills to safely distinguish evaluate and control hazards related to tower work at heights. The course will conclude with a full day of hands-on tower rescue training, rigging a variety of rescue equipment for a range of possibilities and, rescue of a victim considering the probable injuries sustained.
This course is taught by lecture, power point presentation, and hands on interaction with harnesses, lanyards, connectors, tools, rope and rigging apparatus. Students will receive over 300 pages of educational information and resources contained within the student manual to be used during class and for future reference.
Certification of training and photo ID card will be awarded at the end of class for successful completion of written exam, tower maneuver test and proper use of all rescue equipment.
Class size is limited to 8 seats
See our Training Calendar for dates, locations and class availability.
- Course overview/objectives
- Gravity does not take a break
- Speeding up technology
- Organized Confusion (Policy, Standards, Rules, Regulations)
- Gauge the Hazards
- Fall Protection Systems (PFAS)
- Lifelines – Vertical/Horizontal
- PFAS – Inspection, Use, Care, Storage
- Ropes and Knots
- Man Riding, Nets, Rails
- Personal Safety/First Aid
- Hazards – Site/Environmental/Structure
- Safety, what’s The Plan?
- Rescue and Response
- Review, Questions, Discussion
- Safety Meeting/Hazard Assessment
- Select/Inspect PPE
- Select/Inspect PFAS
- Assist with rigging tower
- Use safe climb cable/Lad-safe
- Use lifeline with fall arrest
- Practice rescue procedure with controlled decent device
- Maintain three points of contact
- Face climb using fall arrest Y lanyard
- Use ladder climb system
- Demonstrate appropriate knot and identify
- Climb under control and maintain 100% tie off
- Rig and perform rescue with Rollgliss pulley system
- Rig and perform rescue with DBI No Worries system
- Rig and perform rescue with Petzel ID system
- Perform self-rescue